Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain have been dealt a major blow in their pursuit for Matthijs de Ligt with the Ajax captain having agreed personal terms with Juventus.
De Ligt’s agent Mino Raiola confirmed the news late on Sunday night, before stating that the onus is now on Ajax to decide the next course of action.
‘De Ligt has agreed terms with Juventus and now it’s up to Ajax on how they deal with this situation,’ Raiola told De Telegraaf.
It is believed that Juventus tabled a bid of €65million in the middle of last week.
The low initial offer is due to the fact that De Ligt has reportedly already agreed a five-year contract with the Turin-based club worth €12m net per season.
Ajax have already received an offer matching their evaluation of the 19-year-old centre-half from Paris Saint-Germain, but the defender is said to have his heart set on a move to Maurizio Sarri’s side.
Juventus’ proposed offer includes €55m paid up front, with €10m in add-ons. Juve have also agreed to pay Raiola €10m net in commissions.
Sarri intends to build on his new clubs traditions by continuing to ensure that the Italian champions are dogged in defence, while he sees De Ligt as a player who can add pace to an ageing backline.
Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain are contemplating making another attempt each at finalizing personal terms with the 19-year-old – but Raiola insists his client won’t attempt to go back on his word.
‘That’s out of the question and so is arbitration, as it is not his style,’ he added.
De Ligt was the figurehead of Ajax’s talented young team last season, as they won the Eredivisie, the Dutch Cup and reached the semi-finals of the Champions League.
Barcelona were touted as one possible destination for the centre half as team-mate Frenkie de Jong has already moved to the Nou Camp.