The 35-year-old Inter fan is believed to have been rushed to hospital after being hit by a van which, according to reports in Italy, was being driven by Napoli fans an hour before kick-off at the San Siro on Wednesday.
He underwent emergency surgery but died from his injuries.
‘The van driven by Napoli ultras was stopped by Inter ultras who wanted to fight and were using chains and sticks’, reported Corriere della Sera. ‘The two group of fans begun clashes and a Napoli ultra was stabbed, but his conditions were not critical. At some point, Napoli fans managed to get back in the van and hit the 35-year-old Inter fan on their way to the stadium.’
It was also reported in the Italian press that rival fans had been armed with chains and hammers and around 60 people were involved in the brawl.
Italian FA president Gabriele Gravina has threatened to stop league games from taking place following the tragic incident.
Inter won 1-0 with Napoli having two players sent off, including Kalidou Koulibaly. The Senegal international defender was subjected to racial abuse with the away side asking for the match to be halted after the 27-year-old was repeatedly subjected to monkey noises.
The Mayor of Milan, Giuseppe Sala, made a public apology on Thursday, describing the racist chanting as a ‘shameful act’ and asking Koulibaly’s forgiveness.
‘The boos aimed at Koulibaly were shameful,’ said Sala on Facebook. ‘A shameful act towards a true athlete who wears the colour of his skin with pride.’
The mayor, who was at the San Siro for the match, said he would continue to go to games but would not tolerate any racist chanting.
‘I will continue to watch Inter but at the first chant I will make a small gesture. I will get up and leave. I will do it for myself, aware that whoever abuses a black athlete won’t give a damn about me,’ said Sala.
‘I apologise to Kalidou Koulibaly on my own behalf and on behalf of the people of Milan who testify to feeling that we are brothers even in these difficult times.’