≡ Menu

Ancelotti Wants Napoli To Go Into A Training Retreat

Carlo Ancelotti Napoli

The first attempt to force the Napoli players to attend as training retreat was met with such resistance by the players that it is really surprising to see that Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti has decided to try the same tactic again.

Napoli has announced that the first-team squad will be ‘in retiro’, or attending a training camp, from Wednesday until their away Serie A match against Udinese on Saturday.

However, it was precisely this that caused an enormous row within the Napoli camp last month, which left owner Aurelio De Laurentiis threatening to take legal action against his players before fining them.

The latest decision to hold a training camp comes as Ancelotti takes drastic measures to try and end a run of eight winless matches across all competitions.

The run has left Napoli, considered title contenders in the summer, sitting seventh in the Serie A table after 14 matches – some eight points behind Roma in fourth.

Although they are faring better in the Champions League, drawing 1-1 with Liverpool at Anfield last week, they slumped to a 2-1 home defeat against struggling Bologna at the weekend.

Afterwards, Ancelotti said:

‘It’s not a problem of tactics, more of an attitude problem.’

Their poor league form lies behind this latest attempt at a training camp, which follows last month’s drama.

Various members of the Napoli squad told the owner’s son, Edoardo, they would not be going to the camp during a heated dressing-room argument after a Champions League draw against Red Bull Salzburg.

It led to De Laurentiis fining the ringleaders of the mutiny a total of £2million.